817 Broadway and Fotografiska are among this year’s Lucy G. Moses Preservation Award winners from the New York Landmarks Conservancy.
Our work at 817 Broadway included the redevelopment of a 14-story newly landmarked building just south of Union Square, measuring approximately 140,000 sf including one subgrade level. The redevelopment included an upgraded lobby, restored exterior, common roof deck, new windows, and a retail curtain wall on the ground floors. GMS provided structural engineering and special inspection services for the replacement of the retail storefronts and punched windows on all sides of the building, new lobby and freight entrance, new/upgraded elevators, and a newly accessible roof terrace.
Owner: Taconic Investment Partners
Architect: Studios Architecture
Façade Restoration: Loci Architects
Fotografiska and Owner RFR Realty redeveloped the historic building at 281 Park Avenue South, formerly known as the Church Mission House. An extensive probe program was coordinated with the Client’s Contractor to investigate the existing conditions and the framing connections in order to convert the office floors to retail/gallery use. The six-story, 45,000 sf building was originally built circa 1900 and is landmarked.
GMS also served as the structural engineer for tenant fit-out for the Swedish organization, Fotografiska International, a photography museum with a café, bookstore, restaurant, and event space.
Architect: Cetra Ruddy